Filling steering rack, '69 B.(longish)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Filling steering rack, '69 B.(longish)
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 09:04:57 -0500
  I replaced the steering rack gaiters (boots in US) 'tother day.  tried
to fill the gaiters with gear oil while installing (messy); I wasn't
sure there was enough oil in the rack using this method, so I did a
little research in the manuals and on the  mgcars.org.uk website
archives.

  The manuals tell us to fill the rack thru a zerk fitting, using an oil
gun I've only seen pictures of (G).  I know, Moss used to sell them....
Well, according to the website, that zerk fitting was discontinued after
around '67.  Anyone have a later model with the fitting?  My '69 doesn't
have one.

  Anyhoo, the consensus in the archive was to fill the rack thru the
damper hole in the top of the rack. You remove the yoke cover plate (two
bolts, easily accessed from under the car), making sure not to lose the
shim and take out the yoke, spring and damper (I used a small wire hook
to pull the yoke up and out).  As I suspected to be the case, I couldn't
see any oil in the rack.  So I poured in a few ounces and turned the
steering wheel from lock to lock, poured in some more, etc, etc.

  When the rack is full, the gaiter act like bellows pumps.  When the
steering is turned right the right gaiter is extended and the left one
is collapsed.  This pumps the oil thru the rack from left to right.
When the steering is turned left the opposite pumpimg action occurs.
Pretty neat, huh?  All that squeezing and relaxing of the boots must
also serve to lube the tierod balls and seats.

  Care must be taken not to overfill the rack, as this can cause a
gaiter to burst due to abnormally high internal pressure because there's
nowhere for the excess oil to go.  When the rack, viewed from the top,
is about half immersed in oil with the steering centered, it's about
right (about 8 oz from dry, as mine was).

  Then you put back the damper, spring and yoke, put the cover back on
(don't lose that shim!), clean up the mess and you're done.  Er, except
for greasing the front suspension and setting the car on the ground,
that is. (G)

  Happy Independence Day to all,

  Charley Robinson
  Kerrville, TX