Re: Filling steering rack, '69 B.(longish)

To: "DVCameron" <dvcameron2@rcn.com>
Subject: Re: Filling steering rack, '69 B.(longish)
From: "Michael Singleton" <one_ton3@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 17:31:01 -0700
. The steering wheel still vibrates quite a bit when
> I hit a bump - doesn't feel "solid". I filled up the front shocks and, as
> said, replaced the steering rack boots/oil. Any suggestions, or should I
> accept the vibrato as a part of the overall experience?
>
> PS - I counted tie-rod end threads before and after the boot installation
> (put new tie rod ends on, as well)  - worked very nicely, drove fine,
though
> I am having it aligned (by someone who knows more than me) before any real
> driving occurs.

I would suggest that 1: Don't know how familiar you are with rack & pinion
steering, but kickback from the wheels hitting objects on the road is part
of the game.
                                2: New tie rod ends negate the thread
counting routine, there is no necessary consistant length the beginning of
threads to centerline from tie rod end to tie rod end. Thus when replacing
tie rod ends, don't count on this method working perfectly.
                                3: Alignment makes a world of difference -
make sure that your alignment guy knows the specs on MG's - its not
necessarily the same as on a Chevy.

M.Singleton