Re: Filling steering rack, '69 B.(longish)

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Filling steering rack, '69 B.(longish)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 18:37:46 -0700
I don't think oil in the rack would have any effect on steering wheel
vibration. It isn't there as a cushion, it's to prevent wear on the
pinion and rack. If the actual steering is loose (excess play when you
turn the wheel from side to side at the center position) you can try
removing a shim from under the damper plate. However, if the wear is
concentrated in the center of the rack (as is typical), this may cause
extremely tight steering at full lock. If the whole column seems shaky,
you may just need the column bush replaced. This is not too difficult.
Other components of the front suspension, too numerous to mention, may
also contribute to this perception.

DVCameron had this to say:

--

Max Heim