RE: Filling steering rack, '69 B.(longish)

To: one_ton3@hotmail.com, dvcameron2@rcn.com
Subject: RE: Filling steering rack, '69 B.(longish)
From: Duinhoven_Hans@emc.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 03:18:09 -0400
Possible you might have one (or more) of the following:

WHEEL BEARING PLAY
Play in the wheel bearings - easy to check when they're from the ground.
WHEEL TO HUB PLAY
When equipped with wired wheels play in the setting of the wheel onto the
hub. This is easy to check as well like the wheel bearing, however be
careful wherethe play is - if the wheel wobbles and the brake disk too -
ot's the wheel bearing. If the disk is solid, it's the wheel to hub fitting.
You then have to replace the wheel or the hub - perhaps both.
PLAY ON THE KINGPIN
This better should be checked with the wheel from the car. Try to force the
hub and check (sometimes feeling is easier) if there is play in the kingpin.
PLAY ON THE FRONT STRUD
This is harder to check, although whipping evidence may  be seen at the
outer A arm connection or at the pivet points on the chassis side.
If not well maintained the lower bushing may freeze to the kingpin assy and
cause pivoting on the A arms causing ovaling the mounting hole.

I hope you can work with this.

Cheers,

Hans