Re: Steering Racks General, Was Filling steering rack,

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Racks General, Was Filling steering rack,
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 16:40:54 -0700
Hmmm, don't know about that. The question is, how does it feel while
driving? With a worn-out rack, I had free play at the steering wheel of
almost an inch from side to side. With a new rack, the free play is
barely discernable. I agree it seems unlikely that the rack could be worn
out at that mileage. You can always tighten it up slightly by removing a
shim from under the damper cover.

Also, there is some kind of ball & socket joint inside the rack that
could presumably make a clunk sound without rack free play being a
problem. As long as the steering feels "tight" on the road I might be
inclined to disregard this diagnosis.

Eugene Balinski had this to say:

--

Max Heim