Re: Canvas top on 77 MGB

To: LBCarCoMail@aol.com
Subject: Re: Canvas top on 77 MGB
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 18:21:58 -0400 (EDT)
Jeff, Bud or anyone,
    Is there a way to stretch the canvas tonneau's? I bought one 2nd
hand in good, say excellent condition, but it is about 1 -1 1/4" too
short to reach the dash connectors. I was thinking of hanging it on a
wall with diving weights attached "at the bottom" and spraying it wet to
loosen the fabric so it would dry extended.

    How has this problem been solved in the past?

Bill Saidel
'76B

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000
LBCarCoMail@aol.com wrote:

> Bud,
>
> Yes there is a tonneau of a similar material called Mohair  (their equivalent
> of Stayfast out of the UK - though actually a little heavier).  There may be
> other sources here in the US as well but not sure about that.  Robbins makes
> one for the MGA of the Stayfast material but not the MGB strange is it not ;(
>  Take a look at my website under the tops section, not sure if that one is
> listed yet as I am only now putting the tops on the site, but if not you can
> still get it to problem.
>
> I love the canvas myself and IMO is the only way to go for a top as it is so
> much more pliable than the vinyl tops.  I used to fight with my MGA to get
> the top up and down with the vinyl and never worry about it anymore and like
> you said it looks fantastic.  But it was never original equipment so some
> folks won't use it ;)
>

> Enjoy!
>

> Best regards,
>
> Jeff Zorn
> Little British Car Co., Ltd.
> Visit us on the web
> www.LBCarCo.com
>
> In a message dated 7/8/00 7:44:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time, bkrueger@ici.net
> writes:
>
> << Subj:     Canvas top on 77 MGB
>  Date:  7/8/00 7:44:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time
>  From:  bkrueger@ici.net (Bud Krueger)
>  Sender:    owner-mgs@autox.team.net
>  To:    mgs@autox.team.net (MG List), paul.hunt1@virgin.net (Paul Hunt)
>
>  Last year I took advantage of an opportunity to acquire a 'Deluxe Sun-Fast
>  Canvas Top', Moss #242-740, at a price that I couldn't pass up.  I had it
>  installed yesterday.  Wow!  It's gorgeous.  There is about an inch of overlap
>  inside of the door windows and the rain gutters stick out beyond the glass.
>  Granted, I only put the top up to keep deluges out and I use the tonneau
> cover
>  most of the time.  I wonder if Robbins makes a tonneau cover of the same
>  material?
>   Just thought I'd share this. >>

Bill Saidel           (856) 225-6336
Dept. of Biology      (856) 225-6312 FAX
Science Building      E-Mail: saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University
315 Penn Street
Camden, NJ 08102-1411
USA
For more information about my science, check
      http://crab.rutgers.edu/~saidel/saidel.html

"Sacred cows make divine hamburgers."