Re: '75 MGB Carbs, Steering Boots, emails, etc.

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: '75 MGB Carbs, Steering Boots, emails, etc.
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 19:59:25 +1000
Hmm looks like to me that the tubes are connected to the vacumn fittings on
each carb body that are there to recycle fumes from the side cover
vent/crankcase back into the motor via the carbs - but it's very difficult
to see on the pics exactly where it's connecting to. The system was called
CCV? or something or other - my guess without my Bentley manual -
"Carburettor Crankcase Ventilation system".

Fuel overflow is handled by a horizontal exit pipe on the float chamber lids
front and rear. Fuel enters via a single input on the front carb float
chamber lid only (3 inputs on front lid, 2 on rear), an inline filter is
used. The front carb then serves the rear carb connected by a braided fuel
hose.

For the actual overflow, there should be a short piece of rubber tube from
each of the float chamber vents (about 1-2") and this is in turn connected
to a piece of steel pipe, which has a brass T exit towards the rear carb.
This T exit is joined by another rubber tube which in connects to an input
on the Charcoal cannister. Overflowed gas then passes down a tube secured to
the firewall and exits down by the gearbox well away from the exhaust (in a
LHD car).

I have no idea what that contraption pictured is for. I imagine all it does
is prevent air from entering the motor via the carbs as I see no entrance
point for the filter - which I *guess* could be being used as a quazi air
filter IF it had an input! Total waste of time and says to me whoever did
that had no idea! <G>
I hate to think what it would do in practice, I guess nothing, but it can't
be good the way it is now! Ditch it! :) You should find an example of the
correct carb set up in the excellent Moss catalog available in PDF format on
the web.

In a working CCV, The single front side cover tube is split with a Y plastic
connector into two tubes which connect to the front and rear carb vents as I
mentioned above.  The vacumn from the motor draws fumes from the crankcase
back into the engine instead of exiting them to atmosphere.

HTH,
Neil
--
61 A / 70 BGT / 68 CGT/ 56 BN2