Re: Clutch worries

To: "Derek Vandivere" <dersk@usa.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch worries
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:41:10 -0700
No, the slave cylinder boot is the round one right next to it. That is
the clutch throw-out lever boot, Moss 461-015.

It has the function of keeping dirt and dust out of the bell housing. The
oil that seems to be exuding from it is a sign that either the
transmission front seal or the engine rear seal is leaking. In theory
there should be no oil in this location.

First gear clunking would seem to indicate worn syncros in the
transmission. 3rd gear dropout also indicates transmission wear. Neither
condition is related to this boot; however, the total picture seems to
show an aging transmission.

Actually, the condition of this boot hardly seems to merit replacement --
I'm sure it manages to keep out dust, especially with the "oil trap"
feature. It other things that you have to worry about, I'm afraid.

Derek Vandivere had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149