Clutch worries

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch worries
From: "Derek Vandivere" <dersk@usa.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:14:13 +0200
Well, now that I've posted a question for my friend, here's one for me.

Am I correct that the rubber boot that should be in these pictures (the
square base with a little bit of the rubber is still left) is the clutch
slave cylinder boot (of my American 78 B)?

http://www.bones.org/dersk/images/uhoh1.jpg
http://www.bones.org/dersk/images/uhoh2.jpg

It's just behind and to the left (i.e., towards the middle of the car) from
the starter motor, and the clutch slave boot is the closest I can come.
Would this (and an accompanying loss of oil) help to explain why there's
sometimes a clunking when I engage first gear, or why the car sometimes
slips out of third gear when I coast?

Now, assuming I'm right, is replacing the boot just a matter of unbolting
what I guess would be the clutch slave, slipping the old one out, the new
one in, and rebolting?

Wow, this is the most use I've gotten out of my digital camera yet...

Thanks as always,
Derek