Re: engine installation.

To: MalcolmJeffcock <jeffcock@istar.ca>
Subject: Re: engine installation.
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:56:45 -0700
Malcom,

Before you do anything get yourself a Haynes manual!
http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/, search for MGB Haynes.  You will also
need an engine puller or hoist.

No gasket is required between the engine and bell housing, the rubber
mounts are left on the engine (are they okay?) and there is a shim that
goes under the left mount you need.

I think it is harder to do when separated from the tranny, but it can be
done and the Haynes tells you how.  I would also replace the main seal
and clutch.  You might also consider an oil analysis if there is any oil
in the engine, it will tell you if it is worth your trouble.  Here is
one source that will send you a kit for collecting the oil and do an
analysis for $20: http://www.herguth.com.  This will show worn bearings
or rings, as well as coolant contamination.

Don't just dive into this blind, spend the $20 or so to get the Haynes
and you won't have any trouble!

--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle