Re: Clutch Stuck?

To: bburrows@webtv.net (Bruce Burrows), mvheim@studiolimage.com (Max Heim)
Subject: Re: Clutch Stuck?
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:23:50 -0400
At 10:48 PM 07/19/2000 -0400, Bruce Burrows wrote:

>--WebTV-Mail-24190-96
>
>Fair enough, Max.
>
>And we agree it could be dangerous.
>
>So what method do you suggest to break free the clutch plate?

I have had this problem on several MGs ( I have quite a few) after long
winter storage. In every case I have freed the clutch by starting the car
in first or second gear ,on the street (which is free of traffic.) I then
drive along, holding the clutch in all the time and pressing the gas for a
moment and letting off a second later. Up and down with the revs will
usually break it free in a few blocks. You might look weird bucking up down
as you go along but it works.  A friend of mine had the same problem and it
took a mile.
Remember to warm up the engine in neutral before starting out. If you have
to stop, turn off the key to kill the engine.I don't like jack method, very
dangerous.
Mike