testing starter motor

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: testing starter motor
From: "Jason B Lonon" <j_lonon@lycos.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 16:04:23 -0400
Hi. I'm trying to test the starter motor to see if it's working or if it's
something else that's causing my MGB not to crank. I've removed the start motor
and solenoid (M418G Pre-Engaged) and want to test it. If I'm reading the Haynes
Manual correctly, I'm supposed to hook a 12 volt supply across the large
battery terminals and then apply a 10 volt supply to the small solenoid
terminal.

Questions: Why 10 volts? Can I use 12?
There is another terminal marked IGN that is not hooked up to anything on my
car, what is it's purpose?

Sorry for bugging you, but the manual is not very clear in these questions.

Thanks.
---

Jason B. Lonon
'72 MGB