Re: testing starter motor

To: "Jason B Lonon" <j_lonon@lycos.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: testing starter motor
From: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 20:12:44 +0100
The test is a good representation of the voltages encountered on load, but
since the motor is off load it is hardly a full test, so I don't really see
why they bother.  Using 12v on both will not do any harm and would reveal a
hard fault on either solenoid or motor, but not reveal any marginal faults,
only a full load test will do that.  I have heard some people refer to a
'growler' test that sounds like a rig that does put the motor under load and
possibly measure torque, using 10v in this case would confirm the solenoid
is OK at on-load cranking voltages.

The extra terminal (it may have a smaller spade than the solenoid operate
terminal) is to feed a full 12v during cranking to a ballasted (6v) coil,
typically found on post-74 or so MGs, to boost ignition.

PaulH.