Re: MG Electrics

To: <Duinhoven_Hans@emc.com>, <eric@erickson.on.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG Electrics
From: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 19:46:07 +0100
This test is showing the operating of the voltage stabiliser, which only
feeds the fuel and electric temp gauges, and cannot affect the lights,
heater fan etc of the original poster.  (A simpler and safer test of this
component is to connect a voltmeter to the light-green/green wire from
stabilser to gauges, by the way, and look for 12v switching on and off a
couple of times a second).  The voltage regulator on the alternator can fail
and cause over-voltage on the system, which can blow bulbs etc but the
original posters problem was these items going intermittent, which is simply
bad connections.  (Again the correct way to test the voltage regulator is
with a voltmeter on a brown circuit with the engine running at fast idle -
you should see about 14v.)  With intermittent components you have to go
along the circuits, ideally with a test-lamp rather than a voltmeter, when
the fault is apparent, of course.

PaulH.