Re: BMW bullies Mini suppliers (somewhat OT)

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: BMW bullies Mini suppliers (somewhat OT)
From: eric@erickson.on.net
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 12:58:50 +0930
> BMW/Rover did crack down on anyone using the MG name and octagon.  Most
> chose to remove it from their name rather than pay a licence fee, although
> some of the bigger boys obviously felt it worth paying for.  It was the
> launch of the MGF, and consequently official use of the MG logo on dealers
> forecourts etc that led to it, and presumably BMW are doing this with the
> Mini name prior to launching the new Mini which will be a marque in its own
> right, like MG, rather than just a model as before.
>
> Don't see how they can stop anyone using 'mini' in lower case since it is a
> standard word, but with the typeface and in connection with the motor trade
> they can, it would be seen as 'passing off'.

Richard Branson's VIRGIN AIRLINES is doing the same in Australia at the moment
as
they prepare to launch their VIRGIN BLUE service here (Virgin Blue sounds like
porn channel or something).

I would love to know the range of businesses that are being approached to take
the Virgin out of their trading names.

Eric