Re: Unsolicited hate mail...

To: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>,
Subject: Re: Unsolicited hate mail...
From: Bob Shaw <shaws@mlcltd.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 22:11:51 -0500
At 7:59 PM -0700 7/30/00, Garner, Joseph P. wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>
>I hope no-one else has received similar e-mails from this person, and if you
>have, i hope me forwarding the message below to the list will galvanise us
>to keep our community as friendly and respectful as i have found it to be in
>the past, and not to tolerate this kind of behaviour.
>
>Thanks everyone,
>
>cheers
>
>Joe.
>
>_________________
>
>Dr. Joseph Garner
>Department of Animal Science,
>University of California,
>One Shields Avenue,
>Davis,
>CA 95616
>USA
>
>tel: + 530 754 5291
>fax: + 530 752 0175
>_________________

Well Joseph,

Ive been on this list off and on for the last 5 years or so. I do not
reply too often these days, as I usually find someone else has
answered, so there is no need to subject everyone to the double dip.
This is especially true when their answers are better than what I
would have given. I tend to look at this list as an international
neighborhood, hence I tend to avoid the political most of the time.
However, I also recognize that this list is international in flavor
so it seems to me that such jingoistic ramblings are impolite. A
careful study of the history of technology tells us that when the
conditions are right, meaning society and technology reaching a given
point, things happen around the world at about the same time. Hence
there will be debates about where something was invented and who did
it first. An example would be the French and the U.S. about who
invented the aircraft first. A similar example would be that Cecil
Kimber and Louis Meyer were beginning to make race cars about the
same time.

I think most of us, right or left side of the political spectrum,
love cars. Good cars, no matter their point of origin, interest most
of us. Through accident or design, most of us have settled on MGs as
a favorite. But most of us would spend an afternoon looking at
hotrods, NASCAR race cars or sports cars.

As a psychologist, I generally feel a bit sorry for one so threatened
by opinions that differ from one's own. One of the purposes of this
list is to share information. I think it safe to say that most of us,
on most subjects, want pretty much the same things in life, we just
do not agree on the best way to achieve them. I also think that most
of us are understanding that those with whom we disagree are merely
that, not some mortal enemy.

I have gotten a bit wordy, for which I am sorry. But please do not
stop writing your views. Just do it politely. I believe this list is
about learning. The best way to learn is to get different information
and consider it, and this list surely facilitates that process. YMMV
--
Bob Shaw
Check out Shaw's Garage at http://www.mlcltd.com/shawsgarage/