Re: 75 MGB Steering rack: Hopefully the last questions from me

To: schooler@erols.com (Bill Schooler)
Subject: Re: 75 MGB Steering rack: Hopefully the last questions from me
From: bburrows@webtv.net (Bruce Burrows)
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 23:08:23 -0400 (EDT)
--WebTV-Mail-30031-1103

Hi Bill

(your message is reproduced below)

Well I came up with the best descriptive words I could <G>.

It had been a while since I last did this job and I confess I had no
idea (at first) what the little buggers were, and why they were there.
I did not pay attention, focusing instead on (what I thought were) more
important things.

A total of four screws (two short, two longer) operate the clamps which
go around the ends of the rack seals.  Each of the four screws has a
head and a (for lack of a better term) "tail".  Focus on the tail.

When the rack is at its extreme positions (full left or right), the
tails of those screws threaten the integrity of the seals themselves.
They threaten to puncture the seals.  That is why the MG works fitted
over each tail a small plastic cover.  Mine were white in colour and
circa an eighth inch long.  They just screw on.

It is to those covers I was making reference.

Hope this helps.

Bruce Burrows

'59 MGA basket case
'60 Daimler SP 250