Re: 75 MGB Steering rack: Hopefully the last questions from me

To: torchbone@bright.net (Mark Dawson)
Subject: Re: 75 MGB Steering rack: Hopefully the last questions from me
From: bburrows@webtv.net (Bruce Burrows)
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 16:49:44 -0400 (EDT)
--WebTV-Mail-29227-270

Hello Mark

Your note is reproduced below.

I am responding because I just completed this job on my B.  I really do
not know the '75 is the same as mine, but I strongly suspect it is.
Still, be warned my answers are for a '73.

If you really topped off the rack that could be your problem.  I added
precisely 6 ounces of oil to mine.  (I say "precisely" since I used a
calibrated 2 oz. syringe <G>.)  I did this because the manual calls for
0.39 pint and I allowed for a tiny amount of oil remaining within the
rack itself.  Four times 16 is 64.

I did not disturb my tie rod end boots so am unable to respond in that
area.

You are correct there is supposed to be oil (hypoid oil) in the rack
assembly, which surely includes the boots.  But the manual is quite
specific as to the AMOUNT of oil.  Adding oil without knowing how much
is going in is not a good idea.  All JMHO.  I did not refer to any
manual, except to learn how much oil to add.

To retain alignment and save work I counted threads (very, very
carefully) and file marked all items for orientation, even the locknuts.
I also made a sketch of each side prior to disassembly.  The job went
very smoothly and was easy/quick.

Biggest mistake I almost made was forgetting to replace the rack seal
clamp thread protectors.  Good way to poke holes in my new seals, but I
was fortunate and caught my error.

Hope this is helpful.  Good luck to you.

Bruce Burrows

'59 MGA basket case
'60 Daimler SP 250
'61 Daimler SP 250