RE: Tonneau snaps/studs

To: "'Douglas B. Gaither'" <dbgaither@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: Tonneau snaps/studs
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 10:42:55 -0700
Doug:

        I've owned a 65 and a 70 B where I used the tonneaus lots.

        I prefer the dash snaps as found originally on your car.  I think
the pillar snaps were installed when the pillow dash came into being.  There
is no solid place to mount the corner snaps with the later style of dash.

        Just because all your friends have them on the pillars, is no reason
for you to have them there.

        Some companies are selling a made in UK tonneau which I think has
snaps installed to fit the late car only.

        Other companies are selling a Robins made in US tonneau.  This does
not have snaps installed and will work on either car.  Installing the snaps
is pretty simple and ensures that they are in the right location.

        One note.  If you are planning on driving with the passenger side
tonneau on, I'd suggest adding  an additional snap.  A round snap on the
passenger door, just back of the quarterlight, will reduce flapping at
speed.  Matched with one on the drivers side and the tonneau will be much
more watertight as the fit is tighter.  One other thought is to lubricate
the zipper with beeswax.  This makes the zipper more watertight.  You will
thank me the first time you park your car outside of a movie theater on a
sunny day.  Only to get out of the theater to a deluge outside.

        Been there, done that.  Only I did not have the tonneau on at the
time.

Kelvin.