Re: Tonneau snaps/studs

To: "Douglas B. Gaither" <dbgaither@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: Tonneau snaps/studs
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 12:41:24 -0700
Neither does my 66B (so don't feel compelled for reasons of
"originality"). I can't even quite visualize the purpose of
pillar-mounted snaps. Neither of my tonneaus would even reach such items.
At any rate, I don't see any reason to substitute them for the dash
studs, which work perfectly well. Why drill extra holes, and leave empty
holes atop the dash?

Mine has dash mounted snaps, rather than studs, however, but they are
basically interchangeable. With the windshield out you could always swap
them, if you have a preference.

The tonneau could come with either, I suppose (mine came with snaps for
the front, which is what I needed, and Lift-The-Dots for the back), but
they are not pre-installed -- they realize you need to install them
yourself, due to these and other idiosyncrasies, so you can always
substitute one for the other, as needed.

The original choice of snaps or studs, and the precise locations, seems
to have been highly variable. The rear deck ones must have installed at
the factory, to allow the fitting of hoods; but the tonneau snaps may
have been dealer-installed or aftermarket items.

Douglas B. Gaither had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149