Re: fuel pump rebuild

To: yd3@nvc.net
Subject: Re: fuel pump rebuild
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 15:27:39 -0600
Blake,

I've been working on this all weekend so I have already tried everything I
could think of.  And of course, I did screw up a few things during the
first several rebuilds. I did initially manage to put in one of the valves
backwards - for the fuel inlet. Of course, the pump then pumped but no fuel
ever came out. It was then, that I went thoroughly over the Haynes
instructions.

I have tried quite a number of variations of unscrewing the diaphragm. The
pump only works over a narrow range of unscrewings - too much or too little
and the pump will hum rather than click. The latest setting, which gave me
the familiar pitches of empty and with fuel, was the only one that actually
pumped fuel, albeit shortly. And it did pump some fuel and air out the line
before it stopped.

It has occurred to me that I in reality have not fixed the initial problem.
The pump had voltage and did not pump. The same problem still exists - I
only got to see it click because it was empty of fuel. The same condition
may have existed before I removed the pump - I just figured it was bad so I
took it apart, cleaned it, and replaced the diaphragm and points. Once it
was full of fuel, it stopped pumping (again?). Thus I am inclined to
believe something like a weak pressure spring. How do I tell?

I know this pump is at least 17-18 years old and has in excess of 150k
miles, just from my ownership. And the pump could have been old then.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT