fuel pump rebuild

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: fuel pump rebuild
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 13:44:55 -0600
Anyone have any experience rebuilding the SU fuel pump?

After hearing from numerous people about their fuel pumps going bad, I
purchased points and diaphragm for the pump in my 71 BGT. I bought it in
1983 and never had any problems whatsoever with the fuel pump.

Then a few days ago, the 71 BGT wouldn't start. Since I didn't hear the
familiar click of the pump, I checked the float bowls and found it empty.
Checked the 12v power source to the pump and it was fine. So I removed the
fuel pump and rebuilt it with the points and diaphragm per my Haynes
manual. I got it to work, sounded fine, put it in the car. But as soon as
the pump fills up with gas, it shuts off . Some gas is pumped out of the
fuel line at the carb (which I have left unattached), briefly, before the
pump turns off. The pump still doesn't pump even if I undo the fuel inlet
and outlet lines. But if I remove the pump and empty the fuel within, it
pumps just fine. Until it fills up with fuel again. Then it stops. There is
the change of pitch as the pump start pumping fuel, maybe 10 clicks, and
then it stops.

I have the point gap set to specs. I've blown the fuel lines clear. All
indications are within the pump. Any ideas before I buy another fuel pump?

David
67 BGT
71 BGT