Re: fuel pump rebuild

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fuel pump rebuild
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 11:30:09 -0600
Thanks to all who offered suggestions on my futile SU fuel pump rebuild
(new points and diaphragm), particularly Blake - he sent me several
pictures from a manual he had that gave some definitive instructions
(better than the Haynes manual).

After spending all weekend and then Monday evening on it, the fuel pump
seemed to get progressively worse despite my efforts. Monday evening I
replaced the ground wire and again adjusted the diaphragm. But no matter
what the adjustment, the pump at best would only pump for maybe 5 seconds
(empty) and then stop. At one time, the day before, I actually got it to
pump gasoline but it stopped shortly after it filled with fuel. I even
verified the valves were correct and could blow air through them.

I finally decided just to replace the pump with a new one. Put it in this
morning and the car is now running again. I may tinker with the old pump
again as a winter project but after 5 hours or so last weekend, it wasn't
looking like a cost efficient way to get a working fuel pump. But it would
be nice to have a working spare.

David
71 BGT
67 BGT