Re: Is 5-speed better than OD?

To: "Tab Julius" <tab@penworks.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Is 5-speed better than OD?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 20:40:56 -0700
I don't see the benefit of a 5-speed, unless it was significantly cheaper
and/or easier to install (not the case). The 5th gear is almost always an
overdrive ratio, so the net effect is the same. And if it isn't an
overdrive ratio, then you don't gain the benefits of OD, you just get
closer ratios (for what purpose?).

I assume the reason contemporary cars have 5-speeds is that it is cheaper
(and more space-efficient) to build the extra economy/cruise gear into
the transmission than to add-on an overdrive system. But the old British
sports car makers were limited to the parts that were developed for the
mass-market sedans, and couldn't afford to develop a tranny specifically
for sporting use. But the OD did the trick then, and still does, IMHO.

Tab Julius had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149