RE: Is 5-speed better than OD?

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Is 5-speed better than OD?
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 09:01:30 -0700
If you set aside the questions of originality, "period feel" of the
stock box, availability of repair parts down the road, and the
inevitable problems that come with the installation of "upgraded
parts", the 5 speed conversions I've seen are attractive
propositions--given the right ratios.

I have a non-OD, 3 synchro box, and have considered finding a used
early OD for a long time.  Hard to get all the pieces for this.
Electric OD is complex, heavy, and a rebuilt unit can set you back
$1000 (VB prices).  Add to this the cost of a rebuilt tranny ($900),
and you are in 5-speed territory.

The Ford unit featured in a recent British Car issue has some
definite pluses.  The special crossmember which allows "easy" removal
of the tranny without pulling the engine is a great feature.
Potentially strong synchros is another.  I could probably live with
the slightly offset gear lever mechanism described.  Having the
speedo recalibrated might be a problem, and would be an extra
expense.  I take it these things are available from Waterloo
Drivetrain Systems and Brown & Gammons in the UK.  (No financial
interest...)

Still, I might miss the "feel" (and noise) of the old box.  I'd love
to be able to try a conversion before buying...

--
Chris Attias
Aptos, CA