Re: backfiring

To: xirias@hol.gr, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: backfiring
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:11:29 EDT
In a message dated 8/16/00 1:48:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time, xirias@hol.gr
writes:

<< When I go down the hill, say, in 3rd gear, at 2400 to 2500 rpm the
 engine backfires. It works and pulls fine all the time. What could be
 the problem here? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Are you getting a backfire through the carbs, or an exhaust explosion out the
tailpipe?  Terminology differs!

Backfire thru the carbs can be an exhaust valve not closing.  Exhaust
explosion can be a too rich mixture or incomplete combustion.  Raw gas is
exploding when it hits the exhaust manifold.

Sorry I don't remember what year and model car you have, but later cars with
emission controls can have all of these symptoms if the hardware isn't
working correctly.  BTW, if you add your car info to your .sig file, you
won't forget to put it in your posts.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget