Re: relocating the battery

To: "Evangelos G. Makris" <xirias@hol.gr>
Subject: Re: relocating the battery
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 11:46:07 -0600
When I bought my '67 MGB its battery had been relocated to the trunk.  This
seemed to be ok, but when I looked closer, the DPO had drilled holes through
the floor of the trunk and used sheet metal screws for the battery box he
had installed.  Doesn't sound too bad until you realize that he is lucky to
be alive because he drilled straight into the gas tank, and the screws were
acting as the plug.  I re-located back to the battery boxes, and ended up
buying a whole new gas tank to rectify the situation.  So relocation is ok,
but be careful where you relocate.  Typically the passenger side is the side
to use, as the battery can offset some of the driver's weight, and balance
the car better.  On my '58 MGA the PO (and I'm keeping the D off of it this
time) remanufactured teh battery box with galvanized angle iron of some
sort.  It accomodates a larger battery quite nicely.  This may be the way to
go.

Phil Bates