Re: Cracked Head?

To: "Parenti, Mark" <MParenti@Pirus.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cracked Head?
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:32:31 -0600
Sounds like a query I had a few months ago that I called "the weep of
death". Your crack is probably not advanced enough to see antifreeze drip
out - just the release of steam after the cooling jacket gets pressurized.

This brings up two questions of my own:

1. Can this be fixed (welded) by a machine shop or must the head be replaced?
(this was never really answered during my post - a few people just opted to
replace the head).

2.  What heads are compatible with what cars?
I have an extra head from an 18V engine, probably a '73. I've had it laying
around for about ten years so it will need to be cleaned up. However,
another lister in town was the one with the "weep of death", so I'll let
him have first grab if the 18V head can be used on the later 18G engine
('70). So the question remains - can it be used on an older engine?

If not, I may opt to sell it to someone else. I got it with a used engine
block about ten years ago - the block is now in my 71BGT with a different head,

David