Re: Cracked Head?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cracked Head?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:57:12 -0700
David Councill had this to say:

>Sounds like a query I had a few months ago that I called "the weep of
>death". Your crack is probably not advanced enough to see antifreeze drip
>out - just the release of steam after the cooling jacket gets pressurized.
>
>This brings up two questions of my own:
>
>1. Can this be fixed (welded) by a machine shop or must the head be replaced?
>(this was never really answered during my post - a few people just opted to
>replace the head).

I have heard of cases of cracked heads repaired by welding and
heat-treating (and even with MarineTex or JB Weld where it only affected
water passages), but I suspect it depends on the length and location of
the crack. I also imagine there are no guarantees going into such a
repair. Personally, I'd find a new head, as they are not rare or
particularly expensive.

>2.  What heads are compatible with what cars?
>I have an extra head from an 18V engine, probably a '73. I've had it laying
>around for about ten years so it will need to be cleaned up. However,
>another lister in town was the one with the "weep of death", so I'll let
>him have first grab if the 18V head can be used on the later 18G engine
>('70). So the question remains - can it be used on an older engine?

According to that font of information, the Moss catalog, the head you
have should work fine on an earlier engine, but it won't have the air
injection holes used in 1968-71. But make sure it is not a 1975 or later
(you can tell by the water outlet at the back for the water choke) --
these heads use a different rear rocker shaft pedestal, and you need to
use the one correct for the head (if it's still with the head you're
golden).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149