Re: 3 synchro overdrive tranny weight

To: <WSpohn4@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 3 synchro overdrive tranny weight
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 20:28:07 -0400
> I know, I know, wrong group, but a friend wants to buy my TR4 all synch >
OD trans - anyone know what they should go for?

> Bill S.
> (I don't follow any TR groups)

I've been following this thread and can't help chiming in that most of the
prices being posted are from the private sales.  These prices do not reflect
what you would pay if you were to purchase an OD gearbox from an LBC
supplier.

For example someone had said that $650 for a "good working" early MGB
overdrive box was a fair and reasonable price.  The vast majority of
established LBC suppliers will charge you at least $1100 to $1300 for an
excellent 3 synchro D-type overdrive box.  They're fairly rare and command
that price.  The LHs on the other hand can be had much less ($750-$950) from
a supplier.

As for the Triumph (TR series) overdrives you have the A and J types, and
both interchange easily between the TR4 through TR6 range.  Both A and J
types come on all synchronised TR boxes.  The difference is in the operation
of the overdrives.  The A type will operate on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear (rally
TR4s had overdrive on all forward gears, essentially eight ratios).  The A
type is also of the constant pressure Laycock design, when you flip the
switch to engage overdrive it should be fairly instantaneous.  The J type on
the other hand works in 3rd and 4th gear only, and takes about 20 seconds to
activate after throwing the switch, or until the pressure in the overdrive
unit is great enough to allow you use of overdrive.

The J type is a better design, and lasts longer.  It is also more expensive.

The A type was used on the TR3, TR4, TR4A, TR5/250 and TR6 range up until
1972, the gearboxes themselves are also pretty much the same.  While the J
type was used on 1973 through 1976 Triumph TR6s.  Prices rum $800-$1300 (low
end being private sales, higher for the suppliers) for excellent A types.  J
types will run you $1200 to $2500.

Jon Nyhus of British Motor Classics (in Arizona) had some nice prices on
overdrive units when I was looking for one for my now departed MGB.

Cheers,

--
Kai M. Radicke -- kai@radiohead.net
1974 Triumph TR-6S (as in supercharged!)