Re: NON LBC, Trip to England, Dollars to Pounds

To: larryhoy@prodigy.net
Subject: Re: NON LBC, Trip to England, Dollars to Pounds
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 11:19:40 -0500

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000 09:31:17 -0600 "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
writes:

> They have a questions about exchanging US dollars to pounds before
> they leave.
> Those of you with experience could you direct them (through me) to
> the best
> source?  Banks, auto club, etc?

Don't bother exchanging money before you leave.  You'll get a better
exchange rate and fewer fees if you wait until you get there, even if it
is in the airport on arrival.  Don't exchange _all_ your money at the
airport, however, because rates aren't always the best.  Shop around a
bit, she'll get a quick feel for the best rates.  If she is in London,
she'll see a currency exchange or bank on virtually every corner.  Most
major hotels will also exchange money at decent rates, if the banks
aren't open.

> Should they actually take pounds with them?

Not necessary, see above.  Get a few pounds in the airport on arrival to
pay taxis, etc.

> How about Visa and Master Card, certainly they are accepted
> everywhere, or at
> least the ads would make you believe that?

Yes they are.  Use them as much as possible.  The cards are good
everywhere and will give you a good market exchange rate (again, no fees)
and you'll find the charges in dollars when you get home.

> Finally how about the ATM (cash machines) are they sitting on every
> corner like
> they are in the US?  Will they work with a US ATM card?

I don't think so.  Maybe Mastercard or some such will get you cash if you
sign up for the service beforehand.

> I know most of you will have suggestions about which car museum to
> see, what car
> event to stop by, etc.  Believe me, they have no interest in that
> type of sight
> seeing.  My wife, wonderful woman that she is, gets enough of that
> right here in
> the US!  Remember this is the "girls night out".

If they are in London and they are female, they will have multiple
orgasms shopping at Harrods, guaranteed.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD