Re: NON LBC, Trip to England, Dollars to Pounds

To: larryhoy@prodigy.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: NON LBC, Trip to England, Dollars to Pounds
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 13:12:42 EDT
In a message dated 10/5/00 11:33:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
larryhoy@prodigy.net writes:

<< They have a questions about exchanging US dollars to pounds before they
leave.
 Those of you with experience could you direct them (through me) to the best
 source?  Banks, auto club, etc? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - -

My experience is quite a few years old, but I found in VERY expensive to
convert dollars to pounds thru my bank.  I took American Express travelers
checks and converted money when I got there.  Much easier and less expensive
over there.  Also, use credit cards for as much as possible.  Visa, MC, and
AmEx are taken EVERYWHERE.  And it means less cash to carry.

When our stuff was stolen in Paris, the AmEx trav. chex were the easiest
thing to replace.  Passports were next easiest, and plane tickets home took
two days to get replaced.  Warn them NOT to let pocketbooks out of their
hands, and I suggest some kind of hidden pouch or money belt for passports
and plane tickets.

Just my 2 pence.  YMMV.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward