Re: 5 Main bearing "B" engine and 4 syncro trans in MGA ?

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 5 Main bearing "B" engine and 4 syncro trans in MGA ?
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 11:41:43 -0700
Larry:

I've never done it, but from all of the articles, mail, etc. I've seen you will
have the following problems putting a complete 5 main engine/transmission into
an MGA.

1)  Longer water pump which requires adapting an MGA pump or moving the
radiator.  I am told MGA pumps are smaller and may create over heating problems.

2)  Exhaust manifold fouls the frame.  Either use the more restrictive MGA one,
cut on the frame, or add packing to the engine mount to twist the engine to one
side.

3)  Transmission mounts don't match.  Either modifiy the frame or make an
adapter.

4)  Transmission tunnel cover doesn't fit.

5)  Gear lever comes futher futher forward right under the dash creating a
knuckle hazard.  Gear lever must be bent towards the rear.

6)  Bigger engine equals more heat which can equal heating problem.

7)  Drive shaft length?

8)  With more power, would you want a different rear axle ratio?

9)  Is this worth about a 6% gain in HP, 14% gain in torque at a lower RPM and
an increase in fuel consumption when the whole Middle East is in turmoil?