Re: adding an ammeter to a RBB

To: "Bill Saidel" <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: adding an ammeter to a RBB
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 19:19:51 +0100
Not a good idea.  All the cars discharge (except the starter) and charge
current has to be routed via it hence the provision of hefty cables, and it
introduces a number of additional points of failure.  If you must have an
ammeter a better option is the remote shunt type that introduces a metal bar
near the solenoid and then only needs two thin wires up to a millivolt meter
(calibrated in amps of course), but still introduces an additional point of
failure.  A simpler option is a voltmeter, of course, which can be tapped
into any convenient ignition and ground, and tells you the same thing
(whether the system is charging or discharging).  But then a properly
working ignition warning light does that for nothing.  However none of them
will tell you whether your car will start next morning!

PaulH.