Re: What makes a car? What makes an MGC?

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What makes a car? What makes an MGC?
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 18:01:49 -0400
On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Jon wrote:
---snip---
> and you're going to fix her up and drive it. And you
> did; you just built the new one around the old VIN tag
> ;-]

I'm not looking to do anything radical. it will still be an MGB or MGC, it
will just not have any of the parts that rolled out of the factory. We did
this with a computer once at work. Had  intermittent errors on our database
server. It was under warranty. They came out eleven times. Swapped out
drives, ram, cpu, power supplies, cables. The last ditch effort they swapped
the chassis. (Which oddly enough, fixed it.) And we ended up with a machine
with zero original parts.

I know the kit car people do things like this alot. I remember reading about
a Ford GT40 kit that bolted onto a mustang frame, or a custom frame. The FAQ
had the question "How do I register this car?" The Answer: "It's a Mustang.
You have the registration from the donor car. Register that. This is just a
rebody, as if the original had rusted away."

I hate buying pre packaged "Things". I build my own computers and wouldnt
dream of owning an HP, Compaq, etc. I do woodworking and am about to begin
building a complete set of kitchen cabinets.

I think I never got into cars because getting my license in 1985, cars were
beginning to get more complex. I couldnt get into cars like I could
compters. (I'm O.G. - Original Geek) Now with the B, what better way to know
the car you drive than putting it together a bolt at a time.

(As an aside, I just got Dr. Doolin's Rebuilding the MGB Engine video. I'm
convinced you could ALMOST take the engine out and apart with some needle
nosed pliers, some strong rope, and four strong men.)

I really like the lines of the MGC with that hood. I could easily bolt one
on my B, but that's not the same, it wouldnt have a V6. I DO, however, think
I know where I can get a Buick 215. Bolt it into a Heritage shell, tweak the
hell out of it, get the four wheel independant suspension, four wheel disc
brakes, a 5 speed transmission.... That would be a fun car to drive, it
wouldnt be concours, but man, I bet it would zip.

> Where to find out about the heritage bodies?

I read about heritage shells in Lindsay Porter's excellent "Restoring MGBs"
book. Also, I got ahold of the british MG Magazine, which is chock full of
garages advertising "Heritage Shell Councours Restorations" Concours doesnt
really interest me, but the thought of a from scratch shell that's as good
or better than the original, and 100% solid intrigues me.

| Chris Thompson                                      ct@cthompson.com |
| 1973 MGB                                    http://cthompson.com/mg/ |