RE: brake woes

To: "T. Keith Vezina" <tkvezina@home.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: brake woes
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:09:48 -0600
Keith, new rotors are around $25.00, in my area turning is $10.00 or less.
Despite what others may
say, turned rotors are safe, and are 40% of the cost of new.  I vote for
turning.

If the rotors are original there probably isn't any markings as to the minimum
thickness.  If the
rotors have been replaced in the last few years there likely is a minimum
thickness stamped on the
edge of the rotor.  The minimum thickness should be 7.6mm (.30").  If you are
lucky to have the
thickness stamped on the edge you shouldn't have any problem having them
turned.  If AutoZone won't
do it take them somewhere else.  If the thickness is not stamped on the edge
I'd take them somewhere
else anyway and have them turned.

There is the possibility that the scarring is so deep they would have to turn
them beyond the .30"
thickness.  You should let whomever is doing the work know you will not pay for
the turning if the
outcome is a rotor less than .30" thick.  It is important that you check the
thickness before you
pay.  If you don't have the proper measuring equipment borrow their equipment,
or have them do it
... while you watch.  Frankly the system is not very scientific, before they
start they will attempt
to determine if the rotors can be turned, and still be at least .30" thick, but
in reality their
determination is only a guess.  If they think they can do it, they will turn
them until the scars
are gone.  They really only know the outcome after the process is complete.

Larry Hoy