Re: English slang, was Dodgy alternator?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: English slang, was Dodgy alternator?
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 14:34:06 -0500
On Fri, 03 Nov 2000, scott beavis wrote:
> >understand the meaning of "Naff"?
> Naff = Tacky....er...oh 'spose you need that explained too.

Tacky is a word over here in the colonies, Naff, however, is not something
I've ever heard in the US.

> - Christmas lights on your house

At least in my part of the states (Ohio) you need to break that one down.
There's three ways to put lights on your house.

A) One strand of lights haphazardly wrapped around a handy shrub, blinking
on and off.

B) Nicely framing the house in all white lights, perhaps white candles in
the windows.

C) Using so many lights as to brown out the power grid for the whole county,
so many you have to start putting htem up with a ten man crew starting in
August, and taking them down into march, so much traffic driving by your
house that your neighbors sue. (If you think I'm exaggerating, I'm not.
These places do exist and get on the news. Most People go look in the same
vein they would look at a car wreck they pass on the highway. Morbid
fascination.

At least around here, A and C are very Naff. Very.

But B isnt. It's traditional here in the heathen colonies to do some sort of
lights. It's like everything, it's the extent to which you go.

> Call me stupid, but what is an LBC?

Little British Car. Generic term for MG's, Triumphs, etc.

| Chris Thompson                                      ct@cthompson.com |
| 1973 MGB                                    http://cthompson.com/mg/ |