Bad Temp Sender III

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bad Temp Sender III
From: "E.Claure" <spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 09:31:09 -0800
Hi list, I really dedicated time to my temp gauge today to see why I don't
get readings. First I took a look at the gauge and after shorting the
green/blue wire at the sender the gauge moved past mid of the scale. While
the temp gauge was still shorted I disconnected  the green/light green
cable from the voltage stabilizer and both the fuel gauge and the temp
gauge stopped working. I then connect the cable back and both gauges
worked. I also disconnected the green/blue cable from the stabilizer with
same results.  I then grounded the new temp sender and heated it up until
my ohm meter read no resistance 0.000. I connected the sender to the
green/blue cable and looked at the temp gauge. The gauge started to rise
but ever so slowly and just above the blue mark. I heated the sender quite
a bit with a lighter so it really got hot.

I then put the sender back in and took the car for a major spin so it wood
get nice and hot. Got back poped the hood and read the senders resistance
0.000 to my surprise the gauge did not move at all.

I checked all connections to make sure there is no loose spades or rust.

My conclusion is that both the gauge and sender work but the sender is
sending current at to high a temperature thus the gauge moved when I cooked
the sender with a lighter.  I also noted that when I was reading the sender
with the ohm meter and reconnected the sending wire the readings started to
pulse up and down but I understand this is what is supposed to happen.

The sender is marked on its side 101 , K914, GTP. What is the correct
rating for my sender or what else can I do?  Thanks again for the input. Enrique