Re: Bad Temp Sender III

To: "E.Claure" <spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bad Temp Sender III
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 20:35:50 -0000
Enrique - this reply is to the personal mail as well.

I suspect it was a typo but the green/blue should go from the sender to the
gauge, not to the stabiliser.  There should be a light-green/green from
stabiliser to the other side of the gauge.

Don't know about the electric temp gauge but on the fuel gauge it is not a
good idea to fully ground the sender wire as this over-drives the gauge.  My
fuel sender shows about 35 ohms at max, I would expect the temp gauge and
sender to be similar. '0 ohms' can be misleading on an analogue meter if the
scale goes up to 10,000 ohms, you really need a digital meter - is that what
you used?  From all your tests it really does seem to me that you either
have the wrong sender.  Maybe it does show 0 ohms on the miniscule current
the meter drives through it, but as soon as you try to make it carry the
much higher current required by the gauge its resistance goes up.  Try
putting a voltmeter from the junction of the green/blue and sender to
ground, grounding the sender body and turning on the ignition.  You should
see about 10v.  Now start heating the sender, what does the voltage do?

Try switching the green/blue off the temp gauge onto the fuel gauge and
vice-versa.  What happens now?  If the temp gauge shows the correct fuel
reading and the fuel gauge shows nothing when the engine is hot then that
indicates the gauges themselves are OK.

PaulH.