Electronic Ignition installation question

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electronic Ignition installation question
From: "Jones, Mark" <MJones@ngl.ca>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:49:44 -0400
I installed my Lumenition Magnetronic ignition on Saturday. Extremely easy
to install, took no more than 30 minutes. The only difficulty was installing
the disk. The instructions said that it should be 1.5 mm (0.06 inches) above
the sensor, but I couldn't get it any closer than 2 mm (0.08 inches).
I started the car and it ran like crap. I played with the veneer adjuster
and found the timing to be too far advanced. I did get it to idle and found
the timing to be about 35 degrees advanced, rather than 15 degrees. Once I
got the timing adjusted the car idled extremely smooth. I've never seen the
car run so smoothly before.
I took it around the block and again is ran like crap a lot of backfiring,
especially during deceleration. So I enriched the mixture some and went for
another spin. This time the backfiring was almost gone but I couldn't
accelerate beyond 3000-3500 rpm and the car was hesitating a lot. It felt
like it was missing.
I went back home, parked the car and cracked open an Old Speckled Hen to
think about the problem. There are two things that I can think of that would
cause the hesitation: 1. I think that I didn't leave enough slack in the
wires and it is keeping the centrifugal advance from advancing far enough
once 3000 rpm is reached. Or 2. The gap between the rotor and the pick up is
too large and I am only noticing the hesitation at the higher speeds.
I'm interested to hear what others think. Could a restriction on the
centrifugal advance affect the engine the way I have described or is the gap
between the rotor and sensor that critical?