Re: Body work on MG

To: kingwj@del.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Body work on MG
From: Gonaj@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:52:17 EST
As one who used to sell these materials to body shops and their suppliers I
looked at the Rover site and thought it was giving some good advise.  I do
feel that the problems with 2 part paints and masks are over stated.  Masks
will block particulates so that you will not have paint cureing in your
lungs.  Yes you do need good ventilation but as a hobbiest doing occasional
painting positive air flow equipment is over kill.  Most pro shops dont even
use them yet although they should.
As for paint, Look at the self etching primers and also at epoxy primers.
With steel bodies look for products which contain rust inhibitors in the
primer.  There is an aftermarket line called "Transtar " which makes
excellent primers and clearcoats at more appealing prices.  They tend to be
very similar to Sikkins products.  Always use a good quality finish coat
regardless of what system you go with.

George