Replacement Heater Valve

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Replacement Heater Valve
From: "Thomas Pokrefke" <pokrefke1@home.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:40:48 -0600
I, too, got tired of going through heater valves like tankfuls of gas.  (Ok,
I bent the truth a little, but heater valves are hardly reliable).

I disassembled the valve using a drill, and realized there was nothing I
could do make it leak-proof.  So I made it leak proof.

I had a piece of aluminum welded on the valve body to turn it into an elbow.
You see, the outlet pipe is still there, and the base is still there too.
The troublesome 'valve' and its related platform are in the garbage.

In the summer, a hose runs from the outlet pipe to the water pump, bypassing
the heater core.  In winter, a hose runs from the outlet pipe to the heater
core.  100%, full-blast, let's-fire-pottery-in-the-footwells heat.  Or as
much heat as the engine can muster.

The continual "winter mode" heat flow doesn't bother me too much in Chicago.
Even with a hard top, I've yet to feel hot.  Come to think of it, I don't
think I've felt hot since I've moved here.  South Mississippi was too warm
for me to ever hook up the heater.  (Note to self:  move South).

$.02

Thomas Pokrefke
1970 MGB
pokrefke1@home.com