Re: Spot!

To: <SRegel@dpra.com> (Scott Regel)
Subject: Re: Spot!
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:15:56 -0600
At 10:57 AM 11/10/2000 EST, Scott Regel wrote:
>.... Spot is a 76 B with a cracked head and a major oil leak.  .... Spot
lost her energy and it took alittle while to obtain 60. .... started to
sound like an old VW Bug!  She was definitely only running on 2-3
cylinders. .... idled at 10K, oil pressure at 50-55. .... didn't see any
loose plugs, coil or distributor wires. ....

Do a compression check.  My best estimate (educated guess) is a bad valve
or a head gasket leaking between #2 and #3 cylinders.  If compression is
bad it gets pretty obvious.  If compression is good, then you can look for
fuel feed or electrical problems.

>Oh, Spot is also making a cyclical metallic noise lately when I go around
a right handed curve...noise from the rear.  I would appreciate any insight
on that too...not tires rubbing...definitely metallic.

Check inside of the brake drum for signs of rubbing on the sides of the
brake shoes.  Missing or misinstalled or weak retaining springs can allow
the shoes to rub on the edges against the inside of the brake drum.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
  http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg