Re: apology and question

To: William Killeffer <wtkilleffer@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: apology and question
From: Phil <jello@ida.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 17:36:48 -0700
Well, $3600 isn't cheap by any means, but it isn't way out of line either.  Last
Engine rebuild and replace I had done for me (I do my own now) was 5 years ago,
and cost me $2600 in total - including machining, removal, and re-installation.
That was at a shop where the car had been regularly taken though, and I was
pretty sure the guy was not going to take  me for a bath on it - but I also knew
he wasn't cutting me any deals either.

As to $8000 for a porsche engine rebuild, that is rediculous.  It took me 4
hours to remove my '69 porsche's engine and transmission (which I did by myself
with no more than ramps and a floor jack).  And a shop that regularly rebuilds
engines runs $3600 max for a pre-80 motor motor rebuild.  Figure
re-installation, tuning, and shipping the engine, and I come out at about $5600
tops, could be done for far less (a rebuild on my  little 2 liter porsche is
only $3000).

Phil Bates
67 MGB