Re: Timing Chain Single/Double ? MGB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Timing Chain Single/Double ? MGB
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:49:02 EST
In a message dated 11/27/00 6:47:35 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Logic says the double-row chain should last longer but one has to remember
> that the factory would not have made the change to a single-row chain if

Have to disagree here, Lawrie.

It was quiet simply, all about money. They would indeed have used less rugged
parts, and no doubt made a suitable change to their maintenance schedule, if
it would save a few bob on each car.

By the time you get to the late MGB, what you really have is an Austin/Morris
convertible - they used the entire low performance engine from that model,
complete with single valve springs, single row timing chain, low compression,
and in overseas markets, single carb.

If you are willing to build to an early spec, you can produce a more reliable
engine putting out more power.

Would it be worth it for Bud to change nothing but the timing chain and
gears? I agree - hard call, as the original items, used with original cam and
springs, will probably last a fair while, until something else lets go, in
all probability.

Bill