Re: Speed Kills (No LBC content)

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@avaya.com>
Subject: Re: Speed Kills (No LBC content)
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:36:23 -0500 (EST)
Bill,
   What you write is tres reasonable if and only if Rick can pull off
being humble as he does his maths AND the judge cares.  Being a wise ass
as he proves his case doesn't get him much in the way of favor.

Your point about getting the penalty reduced is well taken. My son had
his 29 mile over the speed limit ticket dropped to 10 which saved a
helluva lot on insurance.
Bill
'76B

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, William M. Gilroy wrote:

> Rick Ehlert wrote:
> >
> > Boy, do I have a sob story for you guys!!  Thanksgiving morning my family
> > and I were traveling from Milwaukee to outside of Grand Rapids, MI. to visit
> > my parents.  The trip was going fine, even with the family dog taking his
> > first major car ride, when, just into Indiana (East on 80-90,94)  I was
> > going with the flow of traffic (read: fast!!!)  I came upon a slower car in
> > the 2nd from left lane (the lane I was also in.)  It was a tinted out black
> > Z-28 with an extra antenna.  I instantly thought, "why would this tinted out
> > kid's car be going so slow, when the rest of the left two lanes was
> > screaming along at 80 mph?  So, I slowed up behind him and stayed there.
>
> You came up behind the cop and slowed to the cops speed.  The cop then
> pulled you over later for doing 85 in a 55.  How did he determine that
> you were traveling 85?  As you approached the Z-28 your speed had
> to be decreasing.  Over what distance did he track your rate of closure?
> If he saw you gaining distance on him do you think he could gauge the
> distance that you were behind him and the rate of closure and use that
> to compute you decreasing speed?  At what speed was the Z-28 traveling
> when you came up behind him?  If he was going 85 how would the 2 left
> lanes be passing you? They would have to be faster than 85.  Can they
> have a rear facing mobile radar in a Z-28?  How could he aim the radar?
>

> If you go to court question him on how he computed your speed.  Bring
> a calculator to run the numbers that he gives you.  I mean if he saw
> you closing from behind 1 mile away and it took you 60 seconds to
> cover the distance between the two cars, and the cops car was going
> 75, what would be your speed?  Do you think the cop could do the math?
> Even if he could, can he explain it to you and the court so you can punch
> it into a calculator?
>
> Does the law specify what is consider reasonable in determining your speed?
> Thinking along this line you might get the prosecutor to drop or reduce
> the charges to no points and a fine. In NJ that is a big win, given the
> cost of insurance.
>
> What does the list think?
>
> Bill Gilroy
> 77 Midget

Bill Saidel           (856) 225-6336
Dept. of Biology      (856) 225-6312 FAX
Science Building      E-Mail: saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University
315 Penn Street
Camden, NJ 08102-1411
USA
For more information about my science, check
      http://crab.rutgers.edu/~saidel/saidel.html

"Sacred cows make divine hamburgers."