Re: Speed Kills (No LBC content)

To: wmgilroy@avaya.com, ricke@idcnet.com
Subject: Re: Speed Kills (No LBC content)
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:53:48 EST
In a message dated 11/27/00 11:15:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wmgilroy@avaya.com writes:

> If you go to court question him on how he computed your speed.  Bring
> a calculator to run the numbers that he gives you.  I mean if he saw
> you closing from behind 1 mile away and it took you 60 seconds to
> cover the distance between the two cars, and the cops car was going
> 75, what would be your speed?  Do you think the cop could do the math?
> Even if he could, can he explain it to you and the court so you can punch
> it into a calculator?
>
> Does the law specify what is consider reasonable in determining your speed?
> Thinking along this line you might get the prosecutor to drop or reduce
> the charges to no points and a fine. In NJ that is a big win, given the
> cost of insurance.

The list thinks that Gilroy ought to become a lawyer!

I had a friend who was a Philly cop, and he was in Philly traffic court once,
a long time ago.  The judge asked everyone in the room who was Not-Guilty to
raise their hand.  Then he said that they could go and the rest could go to
the window and pay their fines.  Now THAT is justice fer ya!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport