Re: Contemplating purchase of 196x B-GT

To: John Wightman <johnwightman@home.com>
Subject: Re: Contemplating purchase of 196x B-GT
From: James Nazarian <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:22:21 -0700
Welcome to the list John.  A word of warning, these cars although grossly
overengineered, can show frame bends in surprising ways.  Find out where the
damage came from and what was done to fix it.  Check the door seams to see that
they are all even top to bottom and driver to passenger side.  Look at the
front of the car where the fender bolts to the radiator support tray (next to
the headlights) and check that the fittings look the same on both sides of the
car and that they don't look tampered with.

My 71 does not show the dammage to the frame but once I added the thickness of
the paint, the front of the driver door scaped the paint off of the edge of the
fender, I also get a shimmy at speed that I beleive comes from the frame being
not straight.  I owned the car when the damage happened and I know these things
developed afterwards.  Since the car is a unibody car it will tend to tweak
things all over, so have a look around and look for signs that something may
have gotten bent where you don't expect it.

Of course, this is all IMHO and I have been known to be wrong before so I'll
shut up now.

--
James Nazarian
71 MGB roadster

"Given a conflict, Murphy's law supercedes Newton's."
-Anon

"Nothing good has ever been reported about the full rotation
of a race car about either its pitch or roll axis."
-Carroll Smith

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 04:59:44PM -0800, John Wightman profoundly declared: