Re: Highway Travel

To: Mgb1979owner@cs.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Highway Travel
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 13:30:42 -0800 (PST)
Tony, I'm turing similar revs in my 76B. It seems like a lot of activity
under the hood - but without a lot of sound insulation (especially with
the hood up (not that I ever put it up!)) it sounds worse than it is.
Besides, that's what the redline is for, to tell you when you're spinning
it too fast! My 95 VW Jetta turns at about 3100 rpm at 70 mph - and is
somewhat noisy - but it's just the way the car is geared. I don't know
that there are any cheap ways to get around this. An O/D is not cheap,
certainly... I guess you could do something with rear-end gearing but I
think that's relatively limited as well. So, my advice is the same as the
others - don't worry about it and have a great trip!

=====
Dan DiBiase
Dayton, NJ
76 MGB Tourer Driver - Brooklands Green
66 Pull-handle MGB Tourer Project - faded Tartan Red
NAMGBR #5-2328