falling spares

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: falling spares
From: David Deutsch <mgman@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 20:35:52 -0500
There is a bumper sticker that reads something like ' the parts falling
off this car are made with the finest British Craftsmanship' that I have
found amusing. There is something happening on a regular basis these
days that is not amusing however and it's going to increase dramaticly
as time goes on. I'm talking about spares, as in spare tires, dropping
out from under mini vans and SUVs. I believe it was Chrysler  who began
placing the spares under the rear of their mini vans back in the early
/  mid-80's. Now almost ever mini van and SUV uses this method of
storage. A spooled cable raises and lowers the spare. The problem is the
cables are wearing and breaking.

As a tow truck driver / roadside assistance provider I have gone out to
at least a dozen tire change calls where the spares are missing and only
a frayed cable end is under the vehicle. In most cases the owner had no
idea that it was missing and in few cases, that this was even where the
spare was supposed to be. This passed week I was called to an accident
site where a driver lost control after hitting a spare that dropped out
of the vehicle in front of them. Guess what? the vehicle did not stop
and probably didn't know that it had lost it's spare. Luckly it was a
donut spare that caused this accident. The all wheel drives are required
to use full size spares. I don't even care to think about the havic that
is going to be wreaked  when the 17" wheels start dropping out of
Navigators and the like.

So if you happen to own a vehicle with a cable secured spare under it
please check the condition of the mounting, especially in older models.
Additionally if you happen to be traveling behind one of these vehicles
please be aware of this hazard.

Safety Fast (but not to close),
David Deutsch